First the counts:
WBC: 1.3 (up, but not an indication of engraftment, this number just fluctuates a bit)
ANC: 340 (down)
Hemoglobin: 8.9 (up because he had a blood transfusion yesterday)
Platelets: 23
There are definitely more sores appearing in his mouth and his throat and mouth are both becoming more uncomfortable, but the pain is still manageable by tyelonol. We opted to skip online school today and just focus on catching him up in Math. Apologies to the other teachers but apparently the Math teacher is the most organized of the classes so it's comparatively easier for me to determine what is due and get him through it. While he does not love it, he started on algebra today and seemed to grasp it quite easily so we made good progress.
The dart board in his room has become quite the magnet for the competitive set at the hospital! Dr Sheibani is well on her way to earning the prize starbucks gift card for the most wins. When she comes in and says "I don't have time to play today", then after talking a minute says, "oh we can do one game" which then turns into two...ha ha! Look out ZiLong!!
It's Thursday, so Bernie the Origami volunteer was here. Today when I asked how long he has been doing Origami, he said more than 60 years! He even published a book of folded hats, and said that he does a lot of hats because of all the kids he sees that don't have hair. I knew he was famous at UCSF Benihoff for his hats, but it never occurred to me the reason why he does so many different kinds of Origami hats! ZiLong opted for a shark, so Bernie folded a mini version to show us how to do it, and ZiLong and I worked together on a giant paper to make a ZiLong size hat.
PT also came by and did some activity with him in the hall. They started with a ping pong type game, then got out a soccer practice ladder. I don't think they had any idea what they were starting when they took that it! ZiLong took it next level and after several different drills, he did 25 pushups down the length of the ladder! Pushup, move over one spot, pushup...etc. He always knows how to find the past soccer players in the group, so he was doing a juggling challenge with one of them.
He finished the afternoon with an ice cream bar sitting in the sun in my little window bed!
Tonight ZiLong had me RUNNING after him down the hallway while he kicked the ball- I think I enjoyed finally running for the first time in so long!
The first hair started to come out today. He is feeling a little down about it, but so far maybe not too bad. I think it will definitely bother him for awhile.








No comments:
Post a Comment