Monday, May 07, 2007

Photos from Sunday-Reunification Palace

I still cannot figure out why this computer won't read one of my memory cards, but my colleague arrived yesterday so today I had him copy my one photo card photos to the other photo card (yes, it works fine in his computer...)- so today there are pics!
So this was the official dining room. If it were me, you know I'd have about 20 more chairs at that table...and of course it would not be empty! I love my enormous dining room table, but wow...could I hold a feast with a table like this....
Beyond the fountain you can see the gates. The gates that the Vietnamese crashed through with their Tanks on April 30, 1975 as the last Americans were leaving from the roof of the building in Helicopters. With views like this, you really just cannot grasp the enormity and the importance of the building in History.
The Map Room in sub basement level 1
The Presidents War Room in Sub Basement level 1. There was also a presidents bedroom for during war time just one room away from here.
The landing pad from where the last Americans escaped as the Vietnamese crashed through the gates with Tanks. The two red circles indicate where bombs were dropped on the roof. Another bomb destroyed the central staircase, although I believe these all happened in 1968, before the Americans left.
In much the same way that American teenagers put grafitti on rocks, Asian teenagers put grafitti on Bamboo. Ever so much more interesting to look at if you ask me.
There were some incredible bonsai trees (in teeny tiny pots) at the Reunfication Palace

3 comments:

"M2" said...

too cool, thanks for sharing and sorta bringing us along with you.
That fruit fascinates me. Can you bring one home?

wzgirl said...

Bamboo grafitti? How interesting!

Anne Marie said...

Wow! It really brings home the history to see these pics!