Friday, March 20, 2009

The Six Banyan Tree Temple & Visit with Tita, Lotus & Linda

On Saturday last week we went to the Six Banyan tree Temple to have the babies blessed. This is a tradition for many adoptive families, although of course it is optional for families based on religious preference. This is something I very much have wanted to do since early in the adoption process. While not everyone in China is Buddhist, it is the predominate belief system, and one of the things I love about visiting China is visiting the temples. The temples are always so peaceful and beautiful, and it's so much a part of people's everyday life. It's important to me that Madeline grow up with an understanding of various religions and have the opportunity to choose for herself what role religion will play in her life. From my side, I will do what I can to give her opportunities to be exposed to various types of religions and belief systems. Fundamentally, Buddhism is probably among the closest to my own belief system when you look at the bare bones aspect of it. Although I do believe that most all religions have the same "bones" when you dig into them. From what I understand and what was explained to us at the temple, Buddhism teaches you to be good in this life- do your best, be happy, life is wonderful, don't hurt other people or other things, because you never know what those things were in a previous life or what they will be in a future life. True Buddhists are vegan, but I don't go that far! I'm more for the "be good to others" general model with an environmental side thrown in!

I am always amused by some of the "other happenings" at temples- like Monks washing dishes, the cleaning lady who takes away the burned out incense to make room for new incense sticks, etc. Most of the focus on visiting religious buildings- be they temples or cathedrals- is on the amazing and beautiful architecture (another favorite of mine) or the paintings or carvings. I love the opportunity to see the other side- the small jobs that help keep the temples and cathedrals beautiful for millions of people to see every year.

I love this pagoda. I've been to the top and it was an amazing experience. I blogged about it a few years ago, but it's late now & I have to finish packing, so I won't link back to it. I asked our guide whether he had purchased tickets to go up in it and he said they actually closed it a year ago because someone jumped from it. What a shame.

Along with the odd jobs at places of religious worship, of course I always have a soft spot for the beautiful textiles!
Pearl
I have a video of the blessing that I'll have to post later. For now, this is inside the temple- the 3 big Buddhas.
Playing with Maddie in the hotel room...
My friend Tita came to visit while we were in Guangzhou- Maddie loved playing with Tita Aiyi!
Tita also loved playing with Maddie! She had the chance to help get her dressed after I changed her diaper, she was quite surprised by how fast her little legs moved! Just when you get one foot into the pants, the other foot pops right out!
More general Maddie Cuteness. She has found she loves cereal and congee, but she much prefers the congee with chicken and corn to the plain water & rice variety...I can hardly blame her! The chicken and corn congee is pretty yummy, she has to share with me when the hotel has that on the breakfast buffet!

5 comments:

Renea said...

I think that's wonderful that you had her blessed in the buddhist temple! How amazing for her. It sounds like you had a great trip. I know you must be exhausted and ready to get home to start your "normal" life now :).....I'm keeping you in my good thoughts today for a speedy and quiet plane trip home. Good Luck! I'm so happy this long journey is finally ending, it's about time! Congratulations!

Beth Snow said...

Kellie - Your Maddie is absolutely adorable. From the photos it looks like the two of you are settling in beautifully. Congrats! We too had the blessing done on our little Maddie at the Six Banyan Temple. What a cool experience!

Blessings,

Beth

C's Mom said...

Looks wonderful and familiar.

I have to say the temple was my favorite 'stop' on the places to go. I loved it there and could have stayed all day.

Stephe said...

She's just too DARN CUTE!! Kindo looks like my kiddo!!! Looks like you are having a wonderful time!!! Enjoy, you'll be home before you know it! Stephe and Giorgia

OziMum said...

Maddie is just adorable, Kellie! You guys look like you were made for each other!

Sounds like your loving GZ and all your friends there!!