On Saturday we woke up to no rain, no thunder, no lightening, just quiet outside. A little dripping from what had fallen overnight, but none of the thunder and lightening and downpour of Friday! We decided it was a good day to rent bikes, so off we went into town. We stopped and did a little bit of shopping at the tourist market, and I found a slightly too heavy gift that we decided to leave at Buffalo bar (owned by Li River people) while we rented bikes. While we were leaving the package, this sweet old woman came up to try to sell us this flower crown for 3 yuan. She had only one so we bought it and Maeve ended up with the flower crown. In exchange for the 3 Yuan, she agreed to pose for a photo for us...

We stopped at the bank to exchange some money and the post office to mail postcards, and quickly found a guide to take us to out to see a few sights. We stopped at a dike of sorts where lots of kids were playing for a little walking around and taking photos.


We managed to set the camera up on a rock to get this one photo of our group together. So far it's the only photo with all of us in it!

Lots of beautiful scenery, wherever you looked!

We rode onto find the Big Banyan Tree- Da yang Shu I think is what they called it. It was as big as I remember, but the crowds were unfortunately bigger than I remember. With the influx of more money to China and a growing Chinese economy, more chinese are becoming tourists in their own backyards. And while I am happy to see more Chinese discovering their country and finding opportunity to explore their country, it's not always pretty. Wherever you see chinese tourists in China in mass quantities, you also seem to see lots of junk for sale, lots of tour groups, and lots of people dressing up in Chinese minority costume to get their photos taken. I chose to pose in my Northwest temperature appropriate fleece.

Both Pearl and Maeve have their own cameras for this trip, and it's been great watching both of the girls take photos. Pearl especially is becoming an avid photographer!

We stopped at the bakery in the morning to get some treats to fuel ourselves for the day. This was Glenn's pick- the purple roll of doom. The girls were not at all keen to try it, but I've had this sort of cake before in China, so I was bold enough to give it a try. It was actually quite yummy- a lot like a cross between a pound cake and an angel food cake.

Posing on the rocks at the Big Banyan Tree

After the big banyan tree we biked a bit further to Moon Hill. It was quite pretty to see, although we chose not to walk up the cement steps to the top. We decided admiring it from afar was plenty for us!
Power duo #1 on their tandem bike....
And Power duo #2!

Mary & I just had single bikes, but ours had BELLS and the tandems did not...so while we didn't have extra power, we did have BELLS!

There was a laser light show that happened every night in Yangshuo. We didn't see it, but we did see the last few minutes from quite a ways away from our balcony of the Li River Resort!

Glenn found passion fruit early in our time in Yangshuo, and bought them a few times over the duration of our short stay. It was my first time to try it from the fruit, quite tasty!

The last morning in Yangshuo- Goodbye Li River Resort!

Pearl wanted to see if I could pick Mushroom up with my chopsticks.....
4 comments:
Looks like you are having a great time, your pictures are amazing!
love the pix. a aplace i have always wanted to visit.
Ana loves the pictures, she is quite jealous of the little girls in your travel group. I am waiting impatiently to see the photos of you finally holding your little princess.
What a beautiful, beautiful place!
Post a Comment