Monday, March 09, 2009

Gotchya Day!!!

We went to the fabric market in the morning, and came back about 12:45. We were leaving to meet the babies at 2:00, so we had a stress filled hour plus before leaving in which we tried to eat some noodles. Pearl posing with mushroom...

Nurit & Pearl & I at the Civil affairs office, waiting for my name to be called...looking relaxed perhaps, but very nervous and excited!

Meeting Madeline for the first time! She is simply stunning, beautiful, perfect, amazing, and the director told me also, Smart!
This was the nanny who brought her. I asked her some questions myself, but several more once Richard was available to help us. It was clear she really cared for Madeline- when she was getting ready to leave she looked very very sad- made like to kiss Madeline and offered her over for the nanny to say goodbye and she kissed her goodbye. She and the other nanny went to wait by the elevators but kept looking back and waving so I stood where they could see us and we watched them and waved back. She was waiting for the director, so they stood there quite a while, and before leaving, she ran back in and gave Madeline another kiss goodbye. She told her she wished her a happy life. I assured her (when we talked before) that I would make sure that Madeline learns Chinese and that we come to visit China often, and I will do all I can to be sure that Madeline is proud of China and of America. She said, "come next year?" I said no, probably in 2 years, but she asked if I would come to Gaozhou and I said yes, I would. She said she had worked for the orphanage for 10 years, and she said she really liked what she did. It was so clear that this was true, and that Madeline was well loved. I wish I could have comforted her but it must be so hard to say goodbye to the babies.
Our little group, plus 1!
She did not make a sound when I met her, and she did not pipe up at all on the bus or back at the hotel until I made my first attempt to change her diaper. She was not at all interested in that, so I gave up and figured, if she's not fussing, it's okay for now. So we got on with attempting to get to know each other and I was amazed that it took her almost no time at all to give me her first smile! I guess it might have been around 5:00 or so, so in just 2 hours after meeting her, I saw the first beautiful bright cheery Madeline smile!! It looks like she's chewing on the bottle with the cap on here, but actually the cap is off. She was having a fabulous time with me squeezing the bottle so the water goes up and she kept drinking a little bit as I did this.
And that is when the giggles started! Pearl's Mushroom seemed to be a big help in the whole laughing scenario as well! Who knew mushroom would prove to be so helpful!
Nurit and Glen went in search of takeout, and Pearl and I stayed behind. They gave us a call after they came back and we went to Mary & Glen's room for takeout. Madeline started drifting off to sleep after trying a little congee and after I ate a little, so we came back to our room and within just a few minutes, she was completely off to sleep. I couldn't get her to sleep in the crib though- even though it's what she is accustomed to, I think that it was just too traumatic of a day, so we'll make that change in another day or two. For now, we just barricaded the bed with pillows and the crib.

43 comments:

AmyG said...

What a beautiful family!

HuluMama said...

Congratulations MOM! Finally your family is together!

Project Ni Hao said...

Awwwww. So, so happy that you and Madeline are together and that the smiles are abundant. Congrats, you two!

chris said...

so happy to see you together! waiting to meet her!

Lesa said...

She is so lovely!!
Our daughter, Wendy slept with us every night. She wouldn't even hear of the crib. ha That was fine with me, I was totally in love.

Congratulations, you finally have her!
Love your posts of your trip. The photos are wonderful.

Lesa
Gaozhou group member.

Red Sand said...

congratulations!!

Lost and Found said...

Congrats, she is beautiful.

One Happy Momma said...

Oh Kelli!!!

Ok I'll have to go back and read what you posted, I had to see the pictures first. :)

She is every word as you described!

Congratulations Mama!

I am so excited for you!

All my best -

Cathy

M said...

Look at those smiles - yours and Madeline's! Congratulations!!!

Johnny said...

Congrats to both of you on your special day!

Bphatch said...

What an amazing sight you and your girl! So wonderful!!

Anne Marie said...

Congratulations, Mama! Madeline is absolute perfect and beautiful, and that pic of her laughing made my heart melt. Isn't it just the best feeling ever in the world?!?

The Laflin Bunch said...

I'm so happy for you mama!!!

Bridget

Jen said...

She's beautiful and perfect in every way. We wish you the best of luck with your Gao girl. Our little Gao pumpkin is 15 months and the light of our lives!

Jen and Joe Nance
www.cote-nance.blogspot.com

redthreadredhead said...

Way to make an Auntie dissolve into tears!! I'm so happy for you!
Happy Gotcha Day!!!

Jodie Dierickx said...

She is beautiful!! Congrat!!!!

NancyW said...

She's ADORABLE! I love the pic with her laughing with you. Brings back memories of my Gaozhou girl, now home 7 years and the Civil Affairs office of only 16 months ago getting my second Guangdong daughter!

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

Beautiful is all I can say!!!

Many congrats to you Mama:)

Dee said...

Such beautiful smiles all around. Congratulations!

Julie and Steve said...

Oh Kelli! I've been following your blog for over two years...so happy to see this day finally come. She is absolutely beautiful! :)

Jenni said...

Congrats! I got all teary eyed reading! What a great day.

Unknown said...

Hi Kelli,
Scott forwarded me your blog link so that I am able to share the happiness of your trip to Guilin and getting Madeline finally! How wonderful and congratulations to the mama! I am excited too, almost can't wait to see her! Best wishes, Brooke

walternatives said...

I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU! xoxo

Special K said...

Congratulations! She's beautiful!
I'm really happy to see that you finally have your daughter.

Kara said...

What a beautiful family! Congratulations!

Beth Snow said...

Oh Kelli - she's just precious! My Madeline and I hope to meet you and your Madeline sometime today here on the island!

Beth Snow (from RQ)

Jennifer in Orkney said...

Hi Kelli, congratulations! Soooo glad this day has finally come for you. Madeline is precious and it's great to see her in your arms. I've been thinking about you and following your journey this week. Hope all goes as well as can be expected as you learn to get to know each other. What a gift! Can't wait to meet her in person. Love, Jennifer

Margie Humphrey said...

So happy to see you and Madeline together FINALLY!!! Thanks so much for sharing the photos and the commentary! Sounds like Madeline was very well cared for and loved! We can hardly wait to meet Madeline and see you two together. Have a safe trip home. Please know there is a large "crew" here in Oregon thinking of you two!

RamblingMother said...

Congrats! She is beautiful! What a great day!

Paulette said...

What a wonderful meeting she is just precious. Brings back memories to see the black and white and red couches. She is so beautiful I am so happy for you enjoy getting to know each other. Can't wait to see her blossom in your arms.

OziMum said...

Oh Kelly! She is just so so gorgeous! I LOVE the photo of you holding her, and she is squealing in delight! Beautiful.

CONGRATULATIONS! The day has finally come.

OziMum said...

Oh poo! Just realised I spelt your name wrong! SORRY, KELLI!!!

wzgirl said...

OMGOsh, big, happy sweet loving hugs to you and your smiling wee nugget. What a happy sight. Big Love, you....xo

Lisa and Tate said...

She is so beautiful! Congrats momma!

Unknown said...

YEAH! At long, long, last - what a beautiful family united!

We are so happy for you. Can't wait to meet her! Congratulations!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Kelli,

There are some people in this journey who have made me cry happy tears. You are one of them. Your daughter is stunning, lovely, precious...I am so happy for you. At last the wait melts away, as promised.

Rhonda said...

Congratulations!

Alyson and Ford said...

Fantastic! Huge CONGRATULATIONS!
peace
fm

Dori's Mommy (Diana) said...

Congratulations! She's precious!!

cyn said...

Congratulations! Her smile is so wonderful!

C said...

Welcome to Motherhood, my friend. M, is simply stunning!

Michele said...

I am balling happy tears for you. Your happiness shines through your pictures and Madeline is absolutely precious. Her smile is beyond sweet. Congratulations Momma! The very best part of your life has now begun.

FDChief said...

What a beautiful little girl! Congratulations to you and your new little family.