Monday, January 15, 2007

First Quilt Block Done!

Okay, I've done it! I've finally started Sprout's Bai Jia Bei....her 100 Good Wishes Quilt!
Here is the first square.
Now is also the time to confess that the green around the sides was one of my fabrics I bought, so I had plenty of it to make more squares with. The biggest challenge is getting well over 100 different fabrics into groupings and into squares where the colors look good next to each other. This is going to be quite a challenge! I did cheat on the first one & use a fabric I had lots of, but some of the fabrics are only 7" square, so I can only get 4 squares out of it! I'm LOVING those 8" squares, and now especially the ones I got duplicates of!!

So Wendy emailed me & suggested we get going on these quilts at the same time...this seems like JUST the kind of inspiration I need to keep me going! It looks like we are even using the same block pattern, it's called a "Z Cross".
Tonight after I finished stitching the first block, I cut & laid out squares for the 2nd block.
The way the pattern shows it, this quilt needs 20 blocks. 1 down, 19 to go. As the house remodel project seems to be coming to a close in the next month or two, it looks like I'll be replacing the sawdust in my life with bits of thread everywhere!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

how lovely! It will be nice that you can motivate each other as you go!!

C's Mom said...

Oh wow! It's gonna be lovely and I'm sure I will not have even come close to starting mine by the time yours is pieced.

Hah! I still need about 40 more squares. Most covered by foot-dragging family ;0)

I have no idea what pattern I want to do yet. I'm overwhelmed by the choices.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! You're doing such a wonderful, complex pattern! I am so impressed. Good idea for you and WZ to motivate each other.

Millicent said...

Wow...your quilt is gonna be beeyootiful. I'm feeling pangs of guilt because I didn't join the QuALT Squishy thingymajiggy and I'm wishing I had made the effort to do that. Ah well... I also wanted to say that i really enjoyed your post on the 8th...about the people that shared their stories/thoughts/etc. with you. What a gift...on all fronts. And what a good day. No need to make rhyme or reason out of it. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the finished project. Love the first square!

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I can't wait to follow the progress! I have no clue what pattern I'm using yet, so you are WAY ahead of me!