Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Qing Ping Market Pictures

More pictures from Sunday at Qingping Market. This was so far one of my favorite markets I've been to in China. The variety of things I saw here rivals some of the great markets I've seen elsewhere in China in my travels. These men & women were selling some of the more exotic type products that go into chinese medicine. There were things that appeared to be tiger paws/legs, antlers, horns from a variety of animals, various bones, etc. These sellers would pull out a hack saw or a huge knife to cut off a piece of the "item" for sale for the buyer. People were not buying "a tiger paw". They were buying a chunk of a tiger paw, tendon still attached. Gross looking I know, but so curious that one has to stay and watch!!! Several of the people seemed to be from regions outside of Guangzhou, I'm not sure but I would guess they probably traveled quite a distance to come & sell these things here.
This store was selling scorpions. In the big red bin they are picking up scorpions with chopsticks & putting them into the small blue bin. I haven't a clue what they use the scorpions for, but I would guess food for some other sort of animal- snake maybe??Women selling oranges outside one of the indoor sections of the market.
From the indoor market- there were just hundreds of differnent things in all of the bags-I think all for the purpose of chinese medicine- this one was seahorses.
And one of my favorites- snakes. No, I do not love snakes- but this was so creatively displayed, what's not to love? Every single snake in every bag I saw (and there were a LOT!) was perfectly coiled in exactly the same way. It was really quite amazing to see.
After wandering through an indoor part of the market, I hit some side streets to see what else was around. I found these women & one guy playing Mahjong. They were some serious mahjong players & it was fun to watch them. I'm sure they couldn't imagine why I was interested.Most all of the Mahjong you see on the street uses these two color tiles- green backs & white fronts. In every province in China I've been to I've always seen these specific tiles. Occasionally you will see one group playing with a slightly different set, but this seems to be the generic set that everyone has. Cindy, Heidi, Sharon- what do you think? Is that us in 50 years? I did notice there was little to no talking (although the guy frequently broke out in song), so we may never quite get as good as these women!

5 comments:

C's Mom said...

Awesome pics but oh, my....I'm hanging with the ladies with the oranges. I am a little freaked by the other things for sale!

Anonymous said...

I love the pics! Thanks.

Red Sand said...

My thanks as well - I'll hold onto those images as long as possible, anything to make this feel more real. Sounds like a wonderful adventure overall.

walternatives said...

Fantastic pics! I wish we were there, exploring with you!

OziMum said...

ooo the snakes just make me shiver!!! I think they eat the scorpians, don't they?