Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Arrived!

after 23 hours of travel and a mistaken time change calculation phone call to a friend in Portland (fortunately she was up at 5:50 am....), I've arrived in Taiwan!
I was happy to see that while I thought our company had changed hotels, we had not. It turns out the hotel had simply changed names!  Back to the comofortable hotel, with the second best bathroom in Asia.....  It used to be the best, until I stayed in the contract hotel in Fuzhou in Fujian province.  After that shower, no other shower can compare...
The trip itself was uneventful- the only unexpected event was that my San Francisco to Hong Kong leg arrival was delayed by 15 minutes. I only had a 1 hour layover, so Cathay just booked all the Taipei passengers on a flight leaving 1 hour later.  when I got on the flight, I seemed to be the ONLY passenger in all of Business Class! Even First Class was empty! I felt bad for the flight attendent who brought the two main dish parts of the meal to me and said "which one do you want?"- I thought- they had to cook BOTH because they didn't know which I would want! oh! Hopefully they all ate the same- so hopefully it did not go to waste! There were 4 or 5 flight attendants who all seemed to be dedicated to Business & First class- they seemed bored! They asked me several times, "anything we can get for you? drink? Juice? duty free? anything?!" (and a few times it sounded like "please PLEASE let me do something!"  But then at the end of the flight I saw them all chatting in the galley, so it was maybe kind of nice for them to have a super easy flight!
There were some adorable sculpted whimisical creatures in the airport when I got off my flight- painted all sorts of wonderful colors and patterns- I'll post pics of them tomorrow. Right now, it's 1:15 am and I have a 7:40 am pick up, so it's time for me to power off- in all sense of the word!

No comments: