Nope...by Special Request (and the grace of our friends at Kroegers on Sauvie Island who had apples on sale 10# for $2.50...), our "village" canned on Saturday. Well, not completely. Cindy is luxuriating somewhere in the Mediterranian this very moment, perhaps having just spent the day seeing the Pyramids & contemplating which of the amazing desserts from the neverending buffet she would like to try...But aside from our one missing Mama, Sharon, Heidi & I went to the task of Canning 75 lbs of apples.
Sharon & Heidi wanted to learn how to can- since Applesauce is so easy (and Apples were so available...) we thought it would be a good way to start.
So, we met up at 9 (or so, Sharon made it at 9, I made it at "or so") and took a walk to a busy street a few blocks over for COFFEE. Must start the day with Coffee! Then we went onto bagels....then perhaps there was a little shopping....then finally off to the grocery store to buy canning jars & finally back to Heidi's house about noon.
I was amazed at how quickly Heidi & Sharon picked up on all the little things that need to happen to keep canning going quickly & smoothly! They were stars from the beginning! Next year I'm certain they'll be bringing me recipes for canning and teaching me a thing or two!Sharon was excited about the "popping" (who can blame her, I get a little excited I hear the little pop pop pop of lids sealing myself!!)- so she sat down to see if she could watch the vacuum seal in action:
We all quickly picked up on our own tasks: Heidi was food processor, water/sugar adder for the apples, and stirrer. Sharon was Jar filler and Apple peeler, I was apple peeler, jar sterilizer, and jar wiper/lid placer....between the 3 of us we ended up with a pretty good canning rhythm!
Heidi lives in this really beautiful old house that amazingly has all of it's original windows. Unfortunately the kitchen window which opens so beautifully in the summer, was swollen shut and would not budge. About half way through we realized the entire inside of the house appeared to be "perspirating." Heidi found that in the area where we were loading up jars, the heat layer was just hanging about 7-8 feet up. If you stood on a chair you could feel the actual place where the air changed from "normal" to wet/dense humid air. We all had to get up on the chair and check it out
6 hours and 49 Jars later....we finished. Yes....49. 48 pints and 1 quart. As we were processing the last set of jars in the hot water canner, I looked up to see canning jars on one of the shelves in Heidi's kitchen. I said "hey Heid, you own canning jars..." She had not even realized she had them! Now she knows the glory of a canning jar, I think she will learn to be very protective of them!!
This was one of the "varieties" we came up with today. We also had "Waiting Mama Applesauce" and a basic sugar free. Okay- the "On the Nest Applesauce", "Waiting Mama Applesauce", and the regular "Applesauce" were all identical...but it makes for more interesting canned good with such fun names!!

13 comments:
Wow...you're really gonna be 'hitting the sauce' for a while!
Looks like you had productive fun :0)
I'm going to have to learn how to do that. Babies usually LOVE applesauce.
Glad to hear from you. I was planning to e-mail you today to check in on ya after hearing about all the horrible storms out your way. But looks like you've made it through okay. :)
Fun. This day looked like so much fun. Love it. I've never tried canning before & am so curious about it! It sure looks like something that would take over your entire kitchen as well as something that would be much more enjoyable sharing with a few fun friends!
Great summary of an awesome day! Thanks for being the "Village" cooking and canning teacher!
test
WOW....you & your friends are AWESOME!!!! I am a straight up city girl and have always wanted to try the canning experience. I must admit...I probably wouldn't last longer than 45 minutes..LOL. Guess I better get better in the kitchen since I want to be a Mommy, huh. It looks like you all had so much fun. What a great group of friends...I am so envious of your fun. Yummy....looks tasty too:)
I have been wanting to learn to can for ages, do you give lessons over here (England?). Man that is a lot of apple sauce. I plan on making all my own baby food, so I need to learn soon. Maybe the next time I am in Vancouver, I'll have to get the ferry over!
Happy Canning!!!
Yum! Sorry it was a little sweaty!!! You guys are canning champions!
wow, very ambitious! Merry Christmas!
75 pounds of apples? Holy cow - you women rock! What a great "village" you all share.
Looks like a lot of fun!
Thanks for getting my kids hooked on homemade applesauce. They already went thru. 2 batches since Oct.
You are very welcome to send some up to Canada if you like. I eat apple sauce with my breakfast every morning. Love the stuff!
Post a Comment