It appears that the China Center for Adoption Affairs has finally done what the singles have worried about for many years. As of today, the early reports from the CCAA's year end meeting list out quite a number of new rules. The most pertinent and sad one is, No more Singles from May 1, 2007 onwards. I do not know if this applies to Non-Special Needs adoptions only, or Special needs/Waiting Children as well. So far the info I have seen points to it being ALL China adoption. They got their wish. They outed the Singles.
It could change. It might not. But for today, that is sad news for all the Single Mamas out there whose families were not yet complete.
I'm most sorry that, if this rule stays in effect, my daughter will not be able to share a birth country with her sister or brother. It's one thing that I felt was something important I could give my future children. Not only a love and understanding of both their birth culture and their family's culture, but also a shared history of their birth cultures. Someone for the other one to "have" when it's somethng that mom just cannot understand what they are feeling.
Friday, December 08, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
You took the words from my very mouth.
At this moment, even 'mom' herself, can't understand what she's feeling.
Sad.
This is a very sad thing.
They are certainly going to cut the number of people in half, or even more, who will be eligible to adopt. Me thinks that is what they want, in order to "save face".
Africa/Ethiopa is overflowing with children who need families. IF we wouldn't of had to wait so long in this process, and could have done #2, thats the direction we would of taken.
it is sad.
I agree. There was a mei mei in my heart for Mia. But now no more.... not fair.
You are right, this totally sucks. I hope that at some point, this rule will change again.
Hey, Kelli. I'm feelin for ya right now. They also said that if there are more kids than couples, that singles would be in again. AND you quite possibly won't be single forever?
(((hugs)))
kelli-
it is so sad and even though the rumor has been out there for a long time, the reality feels like a kick in the gut. i wasn't planning on a third- but i feel for all of the folks who want to make a family by adoption from china and now won't be able to. its a pity.
chris & girls
Wow, what terrible news! Blows my personal life plan too. My goal was to work on a pregnancy now & 2-3 years from now, begin adopt process from China. Guess as of now, that will not be in the cards for me. My hope is honestly, the money they will loose will put singles, right back in again soon.
I am very saddened to hear about this. I hope they will reconsider in the future; they are being foolish in rejecting your future offer to be a mom; any little ones should have such a smart and loving mommy...
It is absolutely heartbreaking to alot of people out there.
Deb
Post a Comment