Saturday, September 30, 2006

Street Fair in Chinatown

Oh it was SUCH a beautiful day! The first Street Fair in Chinatown is this weekend in Portland...and the weather was amazing. I jumped on max to go downtown & was just awe inspired as we passed all of the bridges along the river, the bright blue sky, just so excited for this fantastic summer weather we are still having in September! I met up with Sharon, & Heidi, and Mary with her daughter Sasha (from Kazhakstan.) Here is the little star of our group today: The parade started at 10, so we found a good spot on the map & wasked over to watch the parade. It was incredibly short, so we walked around to one of the last blocks after it finished & watched it a second time. Short, but GREAT. Of course the lion dancers were there...so were the dragon dancers, although I didn't really get any good pics of them. This group below was the Chinese drill team from Seattle. They were beautiful and interesting to watch.

The woman with the pheonix feathers appeared to be Oh-Supreme-High-Commander. When she said MARCH you didn't ask how fast, you just guessed and had better guess right! They were some pretty serious orders this woman gave! The feathers were amazing. I can't imagine how they protect them to travel with them. They must have been at least 4 feet long.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - that looks awesome, Kelli!
What a fantastic day. Portland is so cool....

C's Mom said...

I'm gonna drop over the day Cincy gets anything so cool going on around here!

Joannah said...

Beautiful pictures, Kelli! How cool to have Chinese cultural events in your own city!