Unfortunately we were outside and didn't realize they were taking photos, so by the time we realized and ran inside, I had the chance to click just one photo off before everyone stepped down (and they are even starting to step down here), and I realized after taking the photo that the dial on my camera moved over one notch, to the "no flash" setting, so not only is everyone stepping down, but they're also a little blurry because of the slow shutter speed to account for no flash! Ah well, at least you can see the happy couple in the middle!
We all drove up the road to the community center for the sit down dinner. (And by dinner I mean the traditional meaning which also happens to be the Scottish meaning- the mid day meal- this is the same that my grandparents have called it ever since I remember. Dinner is the mid day meal, Supper is the evening meal) When we arrived we were peeking in windows to try to see where we should enter the building, and we saw the spread of food, so of course we had to go take a sneak peek before it was attacked by the hungry wedding guests! It was amazing! It was all potluck style and most of the dishes were labeled so you knew just what they were. There were probably 30-40 different main dishes, and probably 20-30 desserts! Simply amazing! And quite tasty!
And the Cake! It was beautiful! the traditional scottish wedding cake is a dark fruitcake. This one was a layer of the heavy fruit cake, and a layer of pound cake. Both wrapped in a thick layer of marzipan and then a thick layer of fondant. The cake was served as small pieces (about 1" squares) and served with coffee. I normally like fruitcake quite a lot, but only if it's moist! This was a bit dry tasting, but it was wedding cake and I had coffee, so I ate every crumb! It was wonderful, even if it wasn't my ideal taste, to be able to share in this tradition! I very much liked the pound cake pieces that came around later!
Another Scottish tradition that I very much did enjoy was "The Cog." this is a two handled bucket filled with a warmed mix of various liquors, and it's brought around to each of the wedding guests. The wedding guests are supposed to offer some words of congratulations to the bride and groom, then the couple offers the guest a drink from the cog.
We thought maybe the Cog would come around again later, and were dissappointed when it did not! The mix inside of this cog was quite wonderful, and I could easily have drank a glass of it! I might have been flat on the floor after such an indulgence, so that may be the excellent reason the cog didn't have a second circle around the room...there are, after all, MULTIPLE kinds of alchohol mixed together to make this fantastic concoction.
Maddie sneaking up behind Grandpa...
They had balloons suspended over the ceiling, and at some point in the dancing they released the balloons and all the kids got to play with them. Maddie loved picking up all the balloons and carrying them around! She can't say "balloon" so she was saying "boona! boona!"
I think this little girls name was Millie- I think her mom said she turned 2 in February. She was a very serious little girl with a very serious little face, but I was able to get a shot of her smiling! I guess she is always a very serious girl because several people were shocked when I showed them the photo and said they had never seen her smile before!
Hazel was Jennifer's Matron of honor, and is Leah and Molly's Mom
The next day Jennifer and Robin took a boat over to Eday ("E-dee") for a reception there, and we all stayed behind. It was nice to have a relaxing day, and it gave us an opportunity to go back to Hazel and Norman's farm and see Leah and Molly again. Norman was very thoughtful and waited to feed the calves until we arrived so we could see the calves being fed- Maddie decided she did not want to participate, but it was really fun to watch!
Maddie got one last chance to say hi to the other animals on the farm too- of course the chickens...but here she is wondering where they went!
And the horses! She loved seeing all the animals! Thanks Leah and Molly and Hazel and Norman!

No comments:
Post a Comment