And other annoying questions....I've been lucky to not be subject to too many of these just yet, but I've heard plenty of stories.
But there's also the other side. The people who truly get it. I have an old (not so old, I'm 2 weeks older than she is!) and dear friend who is trying to conceive. She and her partner are also considering adoption, in the event the TTC attempts continue to remain unsuccessful, and possibly additionally (even if they do conceive) for their 2nd child. This friend has been aware of my journey through adoption from the early plans to the present day, and has met our daughter as well. She is no stranger to adoption, and she is well learned and knowledgeable of the special needs and special losses that adoptees have suffered before finding their forever families. It is because of this understanding that she seems to have any trepidation about making it a first choice. Very few people ever "get" this before they are full fledged into the process, so she needs to be applauded for really acknowledging these issues and understanding them so early. I think her path to parenthood is perfect for her. I wish it were easier for she and her partner, they will make such loving parents! But whether they conceive or adopt, they will be fantastic at it. (Of course with the same learning curve we all have.) All of this is just "background" info for the tiny little snippet I have to say today!
I admit, that sometimes while reading TTC blogs and I see things like "I won't conceive, I guess we'll just be childless" and "we've been trying for 4 years now to conceive..." my inner voice just wants to yell, "Are you SO shallow that you must have a child who shares your DNA or it's no child at all????" I admit, sometimes I really DON'T get it! I wish I did! Becuase I do know (and agree!) that adoption is not for everyone! But it just bothers me that so much of the time adoption is really a last resort...and sometimes only after years of trying to concieve.
I guess the way I justify it is this: If you have a child in a hospital, and you find out when they are 15 that your child was switched with another family's child in the hospital, and this child is not biologically yours, which child IS yours? Is it the one you've cared for and loved and nurtured for 15 years? Or is it the one to which you are biologically related? Well technically both, but which one are you MAMA to? You aren't Mama to the biological child. You are a biological mother. But you are MAMA to that child you raised from birth.
So when you consider that you want a child, you want to become a parent, raise a child, teach them your values, teach them to become an active and strong person in your community and help them become the person they are meant to become- is DNA really such a vital part of that? I guess that is where I have a hard time to understand the importance of conceiving when people are trying for years and years. When you try for a year and say, "hey, this isn't working, let's look at our options", I think that's different. But the "we'll just be childless, I'll give up my dreams of being a parent"- that I really just don't get. Because the unspoken message here is I don't want to raise "someone elses child".
So anyway, back to my point. With all this in mind, I was thrilled to see a somewhat offhand comment she made on her blog last week, and I just felt tingles down my arms when I read it. She was talking about her indecision between pursuing IF for a 2nd round or making the choice to start to look into a foster adopt program....and I read this...
(I'm hearing) the growing voice of "forget this IF crap, your real kids are waiting for you, bring them home;"
Thank you Amy. Your real kids are the ones you love the best, and who love you the best. Whether they grow in your body or in your heart. Thank you for "getting" it.
Tuesday, April 06, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Awwww.... and thanks for not calling me old!
There's a meme somewhere about how there are six (or is it seven?) losses from infertility (things like being pregnant, and nourishing an infant in the womb), and adoption only addresses one of them (getting to be a parent). That did a lot to clarify for me why I could have such mixed emotions in thinking through different scenarios.
You are so right! Back when we were in IF-land and I was pumped full of hormones, after 1 IUI and 3 MCs my husband said very clearly, we don't need to get pregnant to have a baby..and that was that. A weight was lifted and now in the process of adopting from China and Ethiopia, I'm a very excited "expectant" mother!
You know what? As one with both bio and adopted kids, I can tell you FOR SURE that it truly makes no difference. My guys are my guys, however they arrived in the house. My little ones are so much MY CHILDREN that occasionally I am surprised when someone asks me about their heritage. I just see them as the little people I love more than life itself, not as Chinese or Caucasian or biological or adopted.
A few weeks ago I got a serious lesson in this. A child on the playground asked Ryan, age 5, how come he didn't look like his mom. (Ryan is Chinese; I am Caucasian.) He looked quite puzzled for a minute, then said slowly, "I might not look just like her, but she's my mom. I am helpful like she is. I am a good worker like my dad, and I am strong like my big brother. I am just like them in the things that are important!" And he went on his way, confused that looks were part of someone's equation. I was impressed...
Post a Comment