Sunday, March 02, 2008

Wat Pho- 95 Chedis and Happy Cows

Besides having over 1000 Buddha Images, Wat Pho, or the Temple of the Reclining Buddha, also has 95 Chedis. 4 large ones to honor the first three Chakri Kings (two for King Rama III), and 91 others spread around the grounds.
I'm not sure this photo will be readable on the blog- it says "Happy Cow Season." I don't know what season is Cow season, let alone Happy Cow season, but I guess any season a cow is roaming a field chewing away on grass is probably a pretty happy cow season...
Another statue I really loved photographing. I have no idea who this guy is, but he is a little less "Warlord" looking and a little more "gentle grandfather" looking than the previous one...
More Chedis...
I believe these were the two of the 4 very large Chedis

The tilework was really amazing. These were all covered in tiles both flat and in relief. It was amazing to look at them in person, but even just looking at the photos afterwards really blew me away. I was surprised by how intricate they all were.
One of the large Chedis- perhaps for King Rama III?
Next we move onto the Grand Palace...

4 comments:

wzgirl said...

I'm totally digging your pictures, Kelli & oh-so envious of your incredible adventure!! Thx for sharing. xo

C's Mom said...

Your photos are pure eye candy!

Red Sand said...

love the photos. I'm traveling through you at the moment and am loving it!

FDChief said...

I have to agree with all the above - terrific photos! Thanks for these, Kelli!