
Yes it's that time of month again...time for another Sesame Street coloring Page...this time, Magic number 17! In Seventeen months I have gone through excitement, anxiety, happiness, concern, anticipation, fear, and elation, and despite the chaos this wait continues to play on the lives of all of us who wait...we still wait mostly with anxious excitement for the delicious changes our life will take on when we finally are in that room in China and we hear the name of our child called as she is handed to us: squirming and crying and scared, or still and unmoving and terrified, and we all wait for those first hours and days of offering comfort to a frightened child, to our frightened child, crying ourselves for the sadness and fear they have experienced and are experiencing as they try to understand what is happening to them, trying to find a way to reassure them that we will be their forever families and forever in our hearts and our homes they will be safe and loved.
The wait is stressful at times, and it's frustratingly out of our control, but everyday I remember that this wait is for the greatest purpose of my life. This is the wait to become a mother to my daughter. To me, one of the greatest purposes in life is to create and share love- in this case, the love of a family. My child's family will be large. I have only one sister, but my daughter will have many aunties, I have only one niece, but she will have many cousins. My community has become family, and they will be among the most precious parts of my daughters life.

9 comments:
what a wonderful way of thinking about it. You actually made me 'ok' with the wait today (as you know, that's a massive task). I feel the same way about family as you do. Our children will be surrounded by family with our friends and their children. One day this will all be a memory :)
Love it....and how true that our families are so much more than defined by biological relation.
Congrats on 17 my LID mate!
Beautifully put!
Happy 17 month LIDiversary.
So sweet, Kelli. Yes, many-many aunties and cousins. How fortunate for you and your daughter.
Friends are the family we choose for ourselves.
Seriously? 17? This is quite the endurance event, dontcha think?? You are going at it with vigor and grace. I'm proud of you.
XO
Lovely post. You know, when I think of meeting you soon, my very next thought is of meeting The Village. I know how special this Portland family is to you, and you to them. Long wait, but life is good, yes?
Well put! Congrats on 17!
Happy 17th!!! Our gals will have such a huge loving family within the IA community! love the post.
Lisa
You are getting to the end of this marathon, and at the end what an incredible family your babe is going to have.
Happy 17!
That was a beautiful, heartfelt post. Absolutely perfect.
Post a Comment