Friday, August 11, 2006

Tagged by Connie!!

I've seen other people tagged...and finally it happened to me!! (Although I did have to be notified, since I had been remiss in reading blogs...so thanks to Connie for tagging (and notifying...) me!

4 jobs I have had in my life...


  • McDonald's "counter person". This couple would come in every 2 or 3 days and it appeared to be their personal vendetta to make the girls working at the counter cry. They were just plain MEAN. My first encounter with adult bullies- at 15! Thankfully that job only lasted about a year or year and a half!
  • Shop attendant in a Knitting & Quilting Shop (yes, I'll admit, I'm not new to the quilting thing, and I'm a closet knitter...both tend to come out every few years, but right now I'm in the knitting mode & trying to get back into the quilting mode...all the great fabrics are certainly helping!)
  • Morning person in a coffee shop, also closing person. Morning person allows you to see the world early in the morning. 5:30 early. Night person meant that when the shop closed & they were going to throw out all the breads/muffins etc, I would get to take them all. I took them to School (was in my senior year of college) & fed half of the Textile Students for the bulk of the year. Everyone knew they could find food at least a few days a week in the textile testing lab. Thanks Starbucks!
  • Footwear Materials!! This has been my job for the last 10 1/2 years...it has it's ups and downs, but I credit my travel to Asia as one of the things that allowed me to realize this journey to my daughter, and for that I will forever be grateful.
4 movies I could watch over and over...


  • Brigadoon. My Mom's fault!
  • Imitation of Life. Another old flick, I've probably watched this movie 15 times.
  • The Clock- Judy Garland...okay Wizard of Oz I suppose too, but most especially when you see it accidentally on TV...
  • Kinky Boots. Okay I don't know if I could watch it over and over again, but I was trying to remember the last movie I saw that I thought was just FANTASTIC. This was an international film festival movie about a shoe factory in England who made the same shoe for like 80 years...when the last son inherits the business he has to change the product to save the business, so they make fashion boots for transvestite. It's one of the funniest and sweetest movies I've seen in a long time!!
4 places I have lived...

  • Cornwall, Vermont. No, of course you haven't heard of it. It only has 900 people. And maybe 1200 cows. But it was a nice place to grow up, and all of my family is there!
  • Philadelphia, PA- during College
  • Dong Guan China, in GuangDong Province- about 1 1/2 hour drive south of Guanghzou. Only for 3 months, 5 years ago. A truly life changing experience. Made me realize how much I love China. Although Dongguan is an industrial city of about 4 million Chinese (I stuck out like a sore thumb, most especially since my hair was curly at the time!!), I developed an admiration and greater interest in the country that will live with me throughout my life.
  • Portland, Oregon! My home! While I wish my family was closer, I have truly found my home in Portland.

4 TV shows I love to watch...(Don't watch enough tv to have 4 shows I love...)

  • Grays Anatomy...Yes, I'm addicted.
  • Desperate Housewives...ditto. I love Sunday TV from 9-11...
  • umm...that's kind of it. Although I always did like Will & Grace, but never actually know when it's on.
  • ???

4 places I have been on vacation...

  • Cape Cod when I was 5 or 6. The one and only family vacation we took...we went with my newly single aunt- two single mom's, 4 daughters between them. Very, very fun.
  • Yunnan & Sichuan China- on Vacation with an ex-boyfriend. A 1 month trek through some of the most beautiful parts of China. Another life changing experience.
  • Yangshuo China- outside of Guilin just northwest of Guangzhou...short but fantastic. Met a woman there who gave up 2 of her 5 daughters and her the story of her life growing up in the cultural revolution, being orphaned at 6 yrs old as a result of it, having to marry a man 30 years older than she, being forced to give up two daughters...another of the life changing experiences which helped me find my current path...
  • I wish I had a 4th! While it sounds like I just take exotic vacations, it's not true! I just don't take them very often! MUST get better about that...

4 websites I visit everyday

  • Rumor Queen. Yes-ME TOO!! (who doesn't?)
  • eBay. always finding things in my house I just don't NEED to sell!
  • Bloglines. I just have to get my fix. I have become a blog junkie.
  • CCAA.
  • That's frightening...I go to the same sites as Connie...! How unoriginal!!!
4 of my favorite foods...


  • chocolate
  • Indian Food!! YUM!
  • Dumplings of ANY variety! Jiaozi, pierogies, ravioli, turnovers...all things wrapped in dough...YUM!
  • CAKE. especially chocolate.

4 places I would like to be right now...

  • at my daughter's Orphanage, looking at her for the first time.
  • In the Tagong Grasslands, Sichuan China
  • In the woods, Camping along a nice stream
  • In Vermont, playing with my Niece MOLLY!!

4 things I want to hear...

  • Mommy, I love you. (Sorry I had to keep this one Connie!)
  • Referrals are back to FULL MONTHS!
  • sweet nothings from a sweet man...if you know where he is, please let him know I'm in Portland & have not yet run into him in the Grocery store (as everyone keeps telling me I will.)
  • I must have mis-quoted your electrical bid, let me give you a better price...(and while we're daydreaming... "I must have misquoted your plumbing bid, you just never mind the other half of the bill. consider it my baby shower gift to you!")

Alright, time for me to tag someone...I think....SHARON! She is my "LID Buddy" in Portland, we are hoping to be in China at the same time as our LID dates are only a few weeks away..she is waiting for sweet little McKenna!!!

4 comments:

C's Mom said...

Love your list and envy your China experiences.

Vermont was always my view of heaven in the states. I have been there in the fall and fell in love. I decided I would move there after grad school...very nurse-midwife friendly. Then I started talking to the year-rounders and the winter stories freaked me out. Here I am in Ohio.

Sounds like you love being in the mountains as much as I do. Is there any better peace short of holding our girls and rocking them to sleep?

Special K said...

I love the single girl meets guy in the grocery store bit. There's a newly single guy I work with that swears by the grocery store & insists on giving me advice how to go about it. Apparently it's something that guys know and discuss (picking up chicks in the produce section LOL) but something I've only recently been enlightened about.

Oh BTW... it hasn't worked yet for me. :)

OziMum said...

Wow! Your China trips sound fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » » »