Monday, October 29, 2007

Day 2 in Amsterdam- Evening

So I went to visit my friends Paul & Simon in Amsterdam- see below, What cuties! Paul was my FIRST classmate in Chinese class- he & I studied Chinese for 2 years before He & Simon moved to Amsterdam to work for a few years. They have been asking when I'd come visit for the last couple of years, and (happily!) I finally relented this year!
The night of the first full day I was there we decided to go for a boat ride on the canals. here they are all bundled up- did I mention how cold it was?!

Paul & I on the boat:
A few pics from the canal- unfortunately the boat was moving too fast & my flash was too small to get many good photos, but this was a very pretty house...
The boat actually slowed to an almost stop and I was able to get this photo. This is a famous series of 5 bridges. We weren't going THAT slow so it's hard to pick out the other 4, but I promise, they are there!
As a Vermont girl, I *had* to get this photo!

We walked through Chinatown after our canal ride- I loved that the street signs were in Dutch & Hanzi!

You wouldn't know it was chinatown unless someone told you! But they assured me it was!

I had actually walked through it during the day, but just didn't know it was Chinatown! Here is a photo I took earlier the same day...notice the same yellow sign? It was a vietnamese restaurant we ate at after our Canal boat trip...

4 comments:

wzgirl said...

You look so cute in that pic, K! And, relaxed. A'int vacation grand? Have your friends picked up any Dutch? Just curious b/c I just can't imagine how I would....

OziMum said...

Fantastic pics! Love the bridge photo! My friends are dutch - his favourite dutch foods are (not sure of its proper dutch name) but its chocolate sprinkles on bread, and dutch licorice - not together, though!!!

walternatives said...

Nothing like a Holland holiday, is there? Paul and Simon look like living in A'dam is agreeing with them, ja? Thanks for sharing your photos with us, Kelli. I'm so pleased that you took a (well-deserved) vacation. Almost time to pack again, eh? Be well. X's from Texas

Anonymous said...

Goed zo! Nice job on some of those nite shots, Kelli! Your camera is amazing. The bridge photo is actually >seven< bridges, and I counted at least six =o) legend has it that it is very romantic to pass under all seven with your sweetie, and that if you do, you will be assured romance! They were illuminated in pink (few shades lighter than the red light district).