Thursday, December 08, 2011

Hunger Strike

It finally happened. Our girl who eats everything has waged an all out hunger strike. She has stated, in adorable little girl who still cannot speak english babble, that she is D-O-N-E done with this american food. 4 weeks is quite enough thank you, now bring on the fried rice. Oh, a few cheerios are okay. And definitely those oranges. But don't you try to make me eat one bit of potato, fish, or anything else unless it has been shipped straight from China.

This started maybe 4 days ago, and I think it was the 2 year molars coming in that started it...but the pain seems to have subsided and now she has no interest in most of the foods we place in front of her. On Monday, when she would not eat a single thing at dinner, I gave up and pulled some white rice out of the fridge. This she gobbled with amazing speed. Okay, got it. You miss the rice. Noted. We'll make sure and have more of it. I had been giving her congee almost every day for at least 1 meal, but not as much in the last week.

On Tuesday, when she protested & didn't want any of the dinner we had, I pulled the rice out again. This time, it failed. She did not want any of it. She had eaten some food that day, so she wasn't starving, but she basically did not really eat any dinner. By this time we had cut the oranges down to just 1 in the morning because she decided she wanted only to eat oranges, bananas and rice crackers and nothing more.

On Wednesday, I said, no way- you must eat. She and I took a little trip to the Chinese bakery down the street and Mama won the Thursday round of competative eating with a red bean bun and a bbq pork bun. Score 1 Mama.

Today, I got out the big guns. Mama's homemade Pork dumplings. No girl can resist them. And I was right- she at them, but she only ate 2 1/2 dumplings. Still, it was enough for Mama to jump around and make a big deal out of it and reward her with an orange. I don't know if she made the connection, but hopefully she did. We'll see how she does with Salmon and potatoes tonight....

Speaking of oranges- she somehow has determined that "Juzi" (orange) and "Bizi" (nose) are the same word- so when we say "Juzi?" she points to her nose, and this means she wants an orange.. Or, she will come up to us and point to her nose, and this means she wants an orange. Very very cute....

2 comments:

AmyG said...

I love how you write!

It seems like an American traveler abroad for the time that Violet has been home would be at the point of craving a Big Mac, even if he or she doesn't ever eat fast food.

I'm also having a great time picturing you doing the "Yay! You ate 2.5 pork buns!" dance.

Michele said...

Sunshine still chooses when she will eat and when she won't and since she is more stubborn and bull headed than anyone I know, there is no fighting it. At some point she does get hungry and all is right again in the world.