Well, the news is not good. The old laptop, currently home to more than 3000 of my photos, is not only officially dead, but it has bad segments. Which means the ordinary data transfer guys can't deal with it, and I need the super qualified data transfer guys. Who cost more than $59.99. a lot more. One quote was $250-$500 to recover them, anticipating it should be around $250. $250 to get photos of my dead computer. They want me to spend $250 on a DEAD computer. Dead. not to be revived.
The second quote was even worse- I told him I had one quote that was a bit scary, and he said yes, it is scary. Then he gave me a quote of $1200-$2400. I quickly told him that his quote was approximately 6-7 times SCARIER than the first one.
And, I don't currently have a card reader for my new laptop which reads my digital SLR card. So- hang tight, I promise there will be photos again.
And, there is a small bit of saving grace in all of this. Perhaps. I last backed up my photos around August this year. So everything before August is safe on CD's. And, I have not yet deleted the two now nearly full cards which are at least from Christmas in VT and I think the Secret Mei Mei party in Portland, which is in the realm of another 800 photos. So those too are SAFE. But my Nov. China trip, Thanksgiving, Sharon's birthday, and my "can't believe the baby's not here yet" vacation to Paris & Amsterdam pics.....all hanging out in dead computer purgatory....sigh....
Monday, January 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Well...damn. I'm sorry to hear that.
Reminds me to back up my picture files, tho!
Ugh. So sorry to hear that. I'll have to make sure that my last back-up captured everything important.
Oh no... I'm so sorry. Let us know what happens to The Lost Photos. Thank goodness you blogged about your trips - at least it's some kind of record, though (sigh) I mourn for all the other pics not seen...
Post a Comment